I’m a writer. I write shit. As much as I love to see my words on a page, I enjoy reading the work of others much more. Reading has always transported me to my happy place, a borderless world where knowledge is free and magic is a way of being. When I sit down to pick up a book, I am prioritizing self-care. I am present. I am completing one task rather than pretending multitasking is possible. Reading is my opportunity to breathe and delve into someone else’s imagination so when I return, I am equipped to stretch the limits of my own reality.
As we welcome 2018, I wanted to share the Top 10 books that have inspired me to live my best life and be #rawasfuck. There’s some sci-fi, philosophy, history and even a cookbook (hey, food is life). There are no book descriptions. Discover. Be surprised. What you need may not come in the form you expect.
In no particular order: (click title to purchase)
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Emergent Strategy by adrienne maree brown
- Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean, and Southern Flavors Remixed by Bryant Terry
- Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
- Killing Rage: Ending Racism by bell hooks
- Collective Courage: A History of African American Cooperative Economic Thought and Practice by Jessica Gordon Nembhard
- Seed to Harvest by Octavia E. Butler